Sunday, September 30, 2007

Birthday Dinner Results






Wow.... took about 4 hours worth of cooking/eating, but the meal was definitely the best/most complex meal I've cooked to date. Here are my thoughts for the future:

Appetizer: Probably need more than just bread/the blood orange olive oil. It was good, but probably got tiring after a couple of pieces.

Salmon: Differing opinions. I thought it was fairly bland, or at least you couldn't really taste the blood Orange olive oil. Personally, I would probably season w/ oranges or something, to make it even more citrusy.

Potato Gratin: This was pretty fantastic, possibly the best meal I have ever cooked. I used Crimini mushrooms instead of the Porcini (couldn't find these at the stores I went to). I also added Asiago cheese to the recipe. I would DEFINITELY recommend using cheese (asiago worked VERY well). Perhaps even use more than I did. Ended up cooking just about the same amount of time that it recommended, perhaps a little more. But really, it turned out crispy and great.

Asparagus/Sauce: The sauce actually turned out REALLY well. My mom loved it, she took all the spare and soaked it up with some bread after we were done. It was creamy, and the citrus was very mild in it. My mom recommends it would be good with fish and I think i agree. I tried some on the Salmon and it actually tasted pretty well. This was a nice way to spice up a relatively simple side of asparagus.

Dessert: I didn't post the recipe to this, but I tried a flavor combo dessert of French Vanilla ice cream, oranges (used mandarin oranges, these worked well, maybe could try blood oranges when they are in season), and then topped it all off w/ Grand Manier Liquor. The flavor combo was really great, although in the future I need to watch how much liquor i use, because a little bit of that goes a long way.

No comments: